Winters are here and so is itchy and dry skin! If you find yourself struggling to keep your skin hydrated and in pink of health in the rough and windy winter season, and want glowing skin then read on.
When you are outdoors in the cold weather your skin is left feeling dry, irritated and itchy while the indoor heating system saps the moisture from your skin, leaving it dehydrated and raw.
Here are 8 valuable tips to keep your skin glowing with health in the harsh winter weather:
1. Limit the shower time:
- Showering in winters with hot water may seem tempting, but it quickly strips your skin of natural oils. This causes skin dryness and itchiness.
- Limit your shower time to 5-10 minutes and use lukewarm water. Even for washing your hands or face cool water is a better option than warm water for removing germs and keeping your skin supple.
2. Moisturize frequently:
- Remember to moisturize your skin often in the winter weather. The skin will feel soft and supple when you apply good quality cream-based moisturizers.
- Especially apply the moisturizer to your hands to prevent them from becoming dry and rough after washing.
3. Change your skincare routine:
- In winters you need to adapt your skincare routine according to the cold weather conditions.
- Avoid using alcohol-based skincare products like tones, astringents, cleansers and fragrances that further dry up your skin.
- Use cream-based skincare products multiple times in a day to keep your skin well moisturized.
- You may use a facial oil or a good quality moisturizer, especially at bedtime. It will rejuvenate your skin overnight and bring a glow to your face.
4. Prevent chapped lips:
- Use petroleum jelly or a hydrating lip balm to protect your lips from chapping.
- Apply it many times a day and at bedtime to keep them well hydrated.
5. Use gentle cleansers:
- Fragrant soap bars can turn your skin dry and cause itching after use. Use fragrance-free soaps or cleansers preferably containing glycerin as one of the contents.
- Minimize frequent use of soaps and cleansers to keep your skin soft and supple in freezing winters.
6. Wear your sunscreen:
- In the winter season, one may tend to ignore wearing sunscreen while stepping outdoors.
- The ultraviolet rays can penetrate through the clouds and still damage your skin even in the winter season just like it does in the summertime.
- Apply sunscreen on your exposed body parts when you go outside in the winter season to keep your skin glowing and healthy.
7. Use a humidifier:
- Winter season causes dryness as it saps the moisture from the atmosphere and your skin.
- To prevent this from happening indoors, it is a good idea to invest in a humidifier for your home or office.
- It will add moisture to the air and keep your skin well hydrated in the indoor environment.
8. Eat right and drink well:
- Remember to drink plenty of lukewarm water and other hydrating liquids to keep your skin from shriveling up due to dryness.
- Include foods that contain omega 6 as well as omega 3 fatty acids like flaxseed oil, fish, etc. Foods rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits will also make your skin glow in wintertime.
- Include these tips in your lifestyle and enjoy healthy, supple and radiant skin in the winter season!
- If you have any more skincare tips for countering winter conditions, do share them with us!